This is a photo summary of the 4-day backpacking trip that Chuck Wight and I took in the Uinta Mts. over the period July 9-12, 2000.



Below is a view on the Henry's Fork trail on the way in.


 This is a (distant) photo of a mother moose and her calf taken on the way in to Elkhorn Crossing.

 Chuck on the trail early in the hike on day 1.

 Chuck crossing Henry's Fork Creek at Elkhorn Crossing.


Chuck hiking up the Henry's Fork Basin


 Chuck in the HF Basin with King's Peak in the center.


 A view to the West toward Mt. Powell

 Chuck with Gunsite Pass on the left and King's Pk on the right

 The wild flowers were beautiful

 A picture of Rydbergia

 A shot from near our day 1 camp.

 We had a nice bit of alpenglow that evening.

 Nice flowers near camp (bluebells and Parry Primrose)

 Day 2, starting up to Gunsite Pass.

 Part way up Gunsite looking back toward Henry's Fork basin.



 At the top of Gunsite, one faces the "fly wall" with this snow field below it. We went up this wall.


 At the top of Gunsite (11,800 ft), one sees into the Painter Basin.

 Going up the fly wall above the snow field, looking back at Gunsite.

 At the top of the fly wall, I encountered some Ptarmagins,

 and more beautiful flowers.

 After the fly wall, we hike up toward Anderson Pass.


Approaching Anderson Pass looking back toward Gunsite.

 At the top of Anderson Pass (12,500 ft), one sees King's Peak 1000 ft above.

 Also at the top of Anderson, looking West, one sees the Yellowstone basin, which we crossed next.

 Descending Anderson Pass

 As the Yellowstone Basin is crossed, one approaches Tunsgten Pass (in the center)

 Near Tungsten Pass there are several small lakes.

 Passing these lakes, Chuck moves on toward Porcupine Pass (above Chuck's pack).

 Another small lake below Porcupine Pass.

 Chuck easing on up to Porcupine pass.

 Jack on top of Porcupine Pass (12,300 ft). At this time on day 2, the clouds were gathering and rain began to fall lightly.


 Desceding Porcupine, the clouds became worse and lighting started.

 After a quick lunch, rain and lightning intesified, so we "trucked" down to lower elevation.

 After about an hour of bad rain and lightning, the clouds became less dense and the weather improved.

 We hiked another couple of hours passing spectacular views.

 Eventually, we approached Lambert Meadows, where we camped the second night (after hiking about 20 miles from 6:30 am).

 There were nice cliffs near our camp the second night.

 The third day began clear and beautiful. Our hike took us into the Lake Fork River valley (below in the photo) and up to the right (North).

Chuck hiking up the Lake Fork Valley toward Red Nob.

 Beautiful peaks were all around us.

 This is Red Nob (in the distance) where Red Nob Pass is (12,000 ft).

 More nice peaks approaching Red Nob Pass.

 And even more wonderful flowers.

 Chuck standing at the foot of Red Nob Pass (behind me) looking back into the Lake Fork basin.


 Sad to say, at this time on day 3, Jack ran out of film (I thought this was a role of 36, but it was only 24). Anyway, we went up Red Nob Pass and proceeded 3 miles to Dead Horse Lake where we took a break at 10:30 am (we began our hike this day again at 6:30). After the break, we made it up Dead Horse Pass (pretty tough), down the other side, where we had lunch. After lunch, we hiked another 3 hours to our camp. It was during this 3 hours that we saw the first people we had seen since noticing one person in the distance in Henry's Fork Basin.

On day 4, we began our hike at 7 am, made it up over Rocky Sea Pass, and then out to the Highline Trailhead on the Mirror Lake Highway.

The whole hike covered 60 miles and was extremely pretty.